Sissinghurst Place

A few patches of sun this afternoon allowed a visit to Sissinghurst Place, open for charity under the National Garden Scheme. The kindly owner greeted us in his deliciously battered panama with the words 'You do know you're not at Sissinghurst Castle don't you?'.
We did and were allowed through what would once have been the entrance to a  very grand house, but now houses a swimming pool amongst ruined walls.

A fire in 1948 gutted the main house, leaving the owners to live, as our host put it: ' In the Servants' Wing, but without the servants'.  Vita Sackville-West apparently watched the fire and used it in her writing of 'The Easter Party'.  

The Easter lambs were again gambolling happily in the field beyond the haha today, the hedges and woodland walks allowing frequent views out into the Kent countryside.





The gardens were a delightful mixture of formal structure and less formal shrubberies and bulbs planted into long grass, which Julie explained are gradually replacing  the more time-consuming beds and fiddly mowing areas.




The atmosphere of old world charm and elegance was only momentarily dented by my asking permission to include photographs of the garden in my blog.  They graciously agreed but for a moment I felt as though I had arrived from outer space!
For details of this and other gardens open for charity by very generous owners, please follow this link:
http://www.ngs.org.uk/

3 comments:

  1. When I told my brother I was writing a garden blog, he gave me that same expression! I thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Sissinghurst Place. It is an enchanted place, as all of Kent seems to be. Thanks for stopping by my own blog and for your kind comment on my woodland garden. I have always loved English gardens, but my climate and surroundings have taken me to a different place. I am glad I can get a taste of your world. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - just lovely- oh to feed one's spirit with such simplicity as Spring. Love your piccies

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!